There are thousands of office chair models out there. Some are good, others are bad, but few can really be considered the best office chair. However, this article will help you make the decision by showing you everything you should look at before you invest in an office chair.
Office works would definitely be a hell if you don’t have the “best stuffs” for you. Best stuffs would include the finest, most suitable and comfortable office chair. Here are some of the chairs you would want to have inside your office.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Office Chair Review for 2017
- 2 Guide to Choosing The Best Office Chair
- 3 Types of Best Office Chair
- 4 What Is The Best Office Chair?
Best Office Chair Review for 2017
- Embody Chair By Herman Miller
- PRICE: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- MATERIAL: Fabric
- WEIGHT: 52 pounds
- Weight Capacity: N/A
- Dimension: 28 x 28 x 24.5 inches
- Herman Miller - Aeron Chair
- MATERIAL: Recycled Material
- WEIGHT: 48 pounds
- Weight Capacity: N/A
- Dimension: 17 x 27 x 42 inches
- Mirra from Herman Hiller
- MATERIAL: Polymer
- WEIGHT: 42 pounds
- Weight Capacity: N/A
- Dimension: 25 x 29 x 40 inches
- Steelcase Think
- MATERIAL: Fabric
- WEIGHT: 50 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Dimension: 24.5 x 28.5 x 42 inches
Embody will be the best investment you will ever make and the only investment you ever need to make if you are looking for a good ergonomic chair. Like Aeron, Embody is from Herman Miller which comes with 12-year warranty on all the parts of the chair. I read several people talking about back pain, and neck pain and how Embody helped them sit in right posture and reduce these pains. If you are the kind of person who sits on chair for longer time, or if your work involves sitting before a laptop or a computer and work for longer hours, then this is the chair for you. I have read people saying that this chair had helped them stand straight.
Embody is highly adjustable. The arm rests are very soft, and they are wide which makes it very comfortable for us. We can easily adjust the chair to move our arms back and forward or to correctly position of our elbow. The arms are wide which make you feel like your arms are free. Movement in Embody feels so much better because the chair bends when you bend your body. Embody has the best seat back of all the ergonomic chairs.
You would feel the seat back once you buy it and start using it. If you want to stretch to the side or shift your weight, the flex back will help you do that. Asthetically, Embody is one of the best designed ergonomic chair. Again, like I said, if you want to get one best ergonomic chair which lasts longer, which helps you reduce your back pain, which is highly adjustable, comfortable, this is the one.
Herman Miller is the industry leader in Ergonomic Chairs and Aeron is one of the oldest products of Herman Miller designed in the year 1994. Several people still use this chair in office and home even now. This chair is perfect chair for your back, posture, highly adjustable. Herman Miller chairs are good ergonomic chairs for people who spend most of your time at desk or for the people who are facing back pain or neck pain.
This chair comes with 12-year warranty. The warranty covers all the parts of the chair which includes all the moving parts, tilts, pneumatic cylinders, and casters. Herman Miller patented the material which makes the all the pressure to be distributed evenly across the wider area of the chair. This chair supports correct posture with the help of Posture Fit Back Support, which is a very important feature of ergonomic chairs. If you are a person who spends most of the time sitting or working in a chair, Herman Miller chairs are the best. It is highly adjustable using the forward tilt, and tilt limiter. You can adjust the chair in many different ways to suit your needs or comfort. It provides good support for your back.
Aeron is worth every dime you put in, made of high tech mesh fabric which makes it look good and also provides a lot of comfort. You can literally use this chair in many directions. Just by flipping a lever, bend to the back for reading books, listening music, and relaxing. Again flip the lever, sit straight in the right posture to do the daily routine tasks. Once you start using, you will feel that it is improving your back and make yourself stand and sit in
good posture. You will also feel that your upper back is straightening and stretching. Aeron is equipped with reclining tension which feels so much better. The pellicle helps us against the sweat stains and heat buildup.
Mirra is again from the same Herman Millar. Mirra feels more comfortable than Aeron. Mirra is also highly adjustable. Mirra is used as one of the standard chairs in many offices. We can move the lumbar support up and down which includes adjustable pressure. Based on your chair usage, you may be adjusting the lumbar support very frequently. The forward tilt option will help your back when you lean forward. If you want to buy a chair with best reclining, Mirra is the one because the reclining is very smooth which makes the chair move very well. Mirra provides very good back support. You could literally sit in this chair for several hours and it feels very comfortable.
The depth of the seat is also adjustable. This model is available in basic and fully featured. In the basic version the only problem is Mirra doen’t have enough adjustments. If you want more features or options that are missing in the basic version, you should prefer fully featured Mirra.
Think by Steelcase is made of 3D mesh fabric available in many colors such as licrose, beige, nickel, licorice, malt, bluejay, and scarlet. You can modify the back tension, and back angle with the Preference(tm) control. The chair seat has a very good flexible seat edge which helps us recline or lean forward. The seat edge flexes, therefore relieving the pressure on the back of your legs. We can easily adjust the seat height, and the arms also can be adjustable, by moving them up, down as well as pivot. The reclining is also effortless because once you lean back, the Think responds automatically. The seat depth can be easily adjustable by lifting the bar to move the seat and then release it to lock the seal.
- Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
- PRICE: $$$$$$$$$
- MATERIAL: Fabric
- WEIGHT: 45.8 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Dimension: 24.8 x 27 x 43.2 inches
- Steelcase Gesture
- MATERIAL: Fabric
- WEIGHT: 74 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Dimension: 23.6 x 29.1 x 44.5 inches
- Flash Furniture LF-W-118A-BK-GG
- MATERIAL: Metal, Wood
- WEIGHT: 24 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 250 lb
- Dimension: 21 x 24 x 39 inches
- SPACE Seating Professional Dark Air Grid Back Chair
- MATERIAL: Unk
- WEIGHT: 40 pounds
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Dimension: 20 x 21 x 19 inches
Leap is an ergonomic chair from Steelcase available in 6 colors such as Black, Blue, Grey, Meadow, Barley, and Rouge. This is the best selling chair from Steelcase. The chair’s back changes it shape to fit or support the spine which inturn reduces the stress on the spine and the ligaments in the spine.
The lubar is also adjustable which will allow us to easily movable the lumbar support bar to fit into the curve of our lower back for additional back support. The chair also offers support for the recline – The upper back force controls the amount of push back when you are reclining. The arms are also highly adjustable. It also offers the lower back firmness through the tension know setting which sets the amount of firmness which is required to maintain the lower spine natural position.
Gesture is made by Steelcase. It is made of platinum metallic frame and it is a synchronized system which makes the gesture back and seat move in synchronization. It is a chair made for modern day where people interact a lot with technologies such as a tablet. The company took care of the limb, user, seat, and core interfaces to support our body. The design of the chair is inspired by the human body. The chair is designed by studying various postures such as multi device, text, draw, swipe, cocoon, smart lean, the take it in, strunch, and the trance.
Ergonomic chairs make our life easier and are considered as one of the best investment in terms of health. If you are health conscious, you would definitely prefer these. Before you buy anything on the page that we sent you, please review all the comments and buy it if you like it.
Flash Furniture LF-W-118A-BK-GG Computer Chair
I got Flash Furniture LF-W-118A-BK-GG Computer Chair after a while searching for a cheap but good office chair. This chair is comfortable for the long hours at the computer. If price is your first consideration this is as good as it gets! Comfortable and easy to assemble home office computer chair.
I was happy to see that this chair was well packaged, the assembly was effortless and unlike the table I ordered this actually came with the assembly tool. This chair was a snap to put together and included extra parts. I had it assembled in about 20minutes and I am slow when assembling things.
It also works to raise the height and lower the height of the chair, I thought that function wouldn’t work. Well it does, but the motion is a bit stiff.
Aesthetically, I like the look of mesh. I would have given it an extra star if the mesh was a bit more comfortable in the seat area and if the chair would lean back a bit. This should help improve my posture because I won’t be doing any slouching. The chair is compact and the right size for me and the materials seem sturdy.
Less than perfect, as the seat leans forward a bit much, otherwise great. Generally comfortable and superior to the used chair it replaced.
Height of the seat and the arm rest are ergonomically designed and the mesh also appears to hold for quite some time. It seems to adjust about 6inches vertically which is sufficient for my 5′ 9″ frame.
The armrests are fixed and do not adjust, but I find them to be just about right for me.
The small footprint is ideal for cramped offices and the chair rolls easily on the casters (depends on your floor/carpet).
Pros: Chair arrived quickly, was easy to put together, and is comfy enough for someone who piddles in front of the computer for several hours/day. The fact that I actually bothered to wrote a review for it problem says something too.
Cons: It smelled like “new” for several days afterwards. A very manufactured smell. Even light traces of it were gone after about a week.
Overall: Worth the price.
If you sit on your chair for almost the entire day, then what you need is something that would have a thick padded seat contour and matrix back with an adjustable lumbar support. This air grid leather chair also has one touch Pneumatic Seat High Adjustment for easier height modification. It has a Synchro Tilt Control with Tilt Tension which is Adjustable and a Nylon Base Heavy Duty Angled with Oversized Dual Wheel Carpet Casters. It has this height Adjustable Angled Arms Soft PU Pads to support your arms during sitting.
Air Grid Leather Chair 5700 got vacuum assist for raising and lowering with the lever. The tension of reclining is adjustable to some degree. The arm rests can be adjusted at 4 levels for about 7-8 cm of travel, up to down. Too bad the lumbar support is not adjustable.
The leather seat is actually decent. I would rate it as firm on the scale of firm to plush. The back is vented and somewhat flexible. The arm rests feel firm and are made of some type of cheap leather.
The frame of Air Grid Chair is made of black nylon. There are 5 sets of wheels on this. The motion of wheels are smooth and relatively quiet for their construction (tested on hardwood floors, at least).
Air Grid Leather Chair 5700 is amazingly customizable without being overwhelming, sits great, and despite how fragile the arm rests look, they have held up to me leaning my full weight (~200 lb) on them day after day. The back feels great – the mesh makes it feel like you’re resting in a hammock – plus it can be tilted back pretty far, but if that’s not your style can be locked in place too.
Quite comfortable. I work from home, so I spend roughly 8 hours in this chair per day, and I can attest to its comfort. My former office had Herman Miller Aeron chairs, which were exceptionally comfortable, but for the price point this chair is more than acceptably comfortable. The lumbar support is particularly good for me.
Guide to Choosing The Best Office Chair
It is not a surprise that people may have varying opinions as to which is the best office chair. Several manufacturers offer top of the line models that come with all the features that provide comfort and support the average workers productivity.
What really makes the best office chair?
Users find the following characteristics most beneficial:
Adjustable Seat Height
A chair with adjustable height ensures maximum leg comfort. It allows you to place both your feet flat on the floor surface without having to strain your back or move to the edge of your seat.
Adjustable Back Height
This feature gives ample support to the lower back, which is most prone to ache and strain. It helps you maintain good posture and prevent slouching. A slightly curved foam back shell would suffice to giving the best comfort and support of the best office chair.
Adjustable Arm Height
Chairs that have armrests that can be adjusted in many ways helps keeps the arms relaxed no matter what task you are working on. This feature prevents the user from acquiring carpal tunnel syndrome brought about by disrupted blood circulation. Not everyone likes armrests with their chairs though.
Pneumatic Height Adjustment
This is an extremely important feature that one should always look for in a chair, especially task chairs that are meant for multiple users. This feature ensures optimum comfort and support for all body types, regardless of weight or height. Buyers of the best office chair are advised to check the gas lift cylinder rating of chairs they plan on buying.
Adjustable Tilt Tension
Lying back once in a while during work should be a luxury anyone can afford. Adjustable title tension helps relax the body and refresh the mind. It also sets the correct posture for the user. Some top quality chairs may come with automatic tension control.
The average worker is faced with multiple tasks and interactions with other people. A swivel chair gives him the flexibility to move around and perform his functions more efficiently.
Casters give users better mobility to move in-between spaces without standing up. To many industries, this feature is an absolute necessity for the best office chair.
These considerations have been taken and fine-tuned by manufacturers to produce the best chairs around. Materials and prices vary but all these features must be present in the best office chair. Ergonomics is a hot topic when it comes to office seating arrangements. It stresses the importance of having proper office chairs to keep workers healthy and more productive.
Types of Best Office Chair
There are technically four different types of office chair and within each category they will have some of the best designs on the market. The types are: high-backed, reclining, forward-leaning and ergonomic.
High-Back office Chairs
These are chairs that have a very high back. Most executive chairs would be considered high-back chairs. They typically have better support than most of the other types (aside from ergonomic chairs), and they are usually the most comfortable. However, they are also often the most expensive.
Reclining office chairs
Most of the best office chairs have a reclining feature and this is a very common type of chair. Most office chairs allow people to lean back and the chair enables this by pivoting. Reclining chairs can be very relaxing and gives people an opportunity to stretch without getting up from their work station.
Forward-Leaning office chairs
This is similar to an ergonomic chair because it takes the shape of your spine into account, but it’s not quite as good as an ergonomic chair. The main reason why people often purchase these chairs is because whilst they are cheaper, they still offer support to the back, neck and shoulders. The back area is curved inward to give you more support and comfort.
Ergonomic office chairs
These chairs are made specifically to offer you maximum support and comfort. They are made for specific body types and they are also made to take as much pressure as possible off the back, neck, legs and arms.
Stationary or Mobile?
Another choice you need to make is if the office chair is stationary or mobile. The vast majority of the best office chairs are mobile, but that may not be best for your situation and needs. These chairs have wheels that can glide over flat or carpeted surfaces and allows you to go from one area to the next.Stationary chairs, on the other hand, are meant to stay still. That might seem like a disadvantage, but it might not be if you consider your needs. After all do you really need to move around that much?
The moving parts may make mobile chairs slightly less durable and more prone to breaking. If you don’t move around that much, then a stationary chair might be best for you. If you do move around, then consider getting a mobile one.
To get the best office chair, you should consider the material for the body and the frame. There are three main types of material for the body: leather, synthetic and fabric (such as mesh and cotton).
Leather is luxurious, it feels amazing and it’s easy to clean. Synthetic materials are also easy to clean but can cause sweating in hot weather. Fabric is cooler, doesn’t wear down your clothes (the chemicals in leather often make your clothes wear more quickly) and it’s better for the environment. All are generally comfortable but you should try them out to see which one suits you and your budget the best.
The frame is also important. There are three main materials in this category: metal, plastic and wood. Plastic is the most common and the most economical, but it isn’t as durable as the others. Metal is very durable and strong and it should be able to last for years under the proper conditions. Wood is light and durable, and it has a prestige to it that the other materials just don’t have.
You can get any combination of these materials. Consider what you want from the best office chair, and what would be best for your needs.
While some of the best office chairs don’t have an armrest, the vast majority of the best office chairs do and there are a few considerations you need to make. First of all, what type of material do you want? You can choose flat plastic that is affordable but not that comfortable, or you can choose an upholstered armrest that is much easier to lean on for hours.
You should also consider the shape of the armrest. You can get straight or curved ones. Both of these are fine, but curved ones are a little better for your arms. However, many people find them uncomfortable and prefer to get straight ones. Also consider if you want to purchase an office chair with adjustable armrests.
Almost all of the best office chairs have several different adjustments, but you should think about which adjustments are the best for your needs. While you can get all of the possible adjustments, you may not use some of them, or it might put the chair out of your price range.
The most common adjustments allow you to raise and lower the armrest, you can change the height of the chair and you can put the chair in a tilting or locked position.
Other more advanced adjustments allow you to change the back support section, you can widen the armrest and you can change the tilt and tension of the office chair.
What exactly do you need from your chair? If you just want an office chair that has the basics, then go for the common adjustments. If you want each and every part of the chair to be adjusted to your exact preferences, then consider getting one with more advanced controls. It all depends on what you want, and you need to think about your preferences when choosing the best office chair for you.
There are thousands of office chairs out there, but only a handful can be called the best office chair. If you are looking for the best, then you need to consider all of the above features and selections. If you just give some thought to your needs and preferences, then you should have no problem finding the best office chair for you
If you want to learn more, visit Best Office Chair for Back Pain
What Is The Best Office Chair?
With so many different types, shapes, sizes brands and models of office chairs available, it’s often hard to tell which is the best office chair for you.
Here, we’ll try to explain each of the different types and then suggest a few brands for you to look into that are generally considered to make the best chairs. Below that, we’ll provide a few links for you to get started with.
The Best Office Chairs — A Side By Side Comparison
- Executive office chair – Executive office chairs are often considered the best office chairs by many not only because of its luxurious looks and stately stature, but also because of the quality that goes into these. Generally made of a top-notch fabric such as leather, the executive desk chair is characterized by a very high back rest, a head rest, and many different adjustable parts. They also swivel and recline.
Best Office Chair
- Mesh office chair – Mesh chairs are becoming more and more popular thanks to their modern look that is also very breathable. This allows users to feel cool and comfortable as the light chair promotes good air circulation. This type of chair is also gaining in popularity because they allow for lower air conditioning bills in certain areas.
- Leather task chair – Unlike the mesh chair, leather task chairs don’t promote coolness, but rather richness, stability, elegance and power. Made of leather, these are often times executive chairs, preferred by those in higher positions of the company. The plush, soft leather makes for a luxurious seating experience and it’s thus considered the best office chair by high-level executives.
- Ergonomic office chair – Ergonomic chairs are said to be the best office chairs by doctors. These chairs become more and more comfortable with time and are designed around promoting good posture, relaxed muscles, comfort and support. They do take a bit of getting used to, but once people do, they refuse to switch to other types of desk chairs.
- Operator Seating – Operator seats are designed with the intention of having many different types of body types sitting in them. This means that with just a few short adjustments, these chairs can conform to all types of heights and weights, making them practical for many uses in and around the office.
- Visitor, Reception and Side Chair – These chairs are fairly stationary and are meant for seating for short periods of time by many people. They don’t have wheels, padding or many other perks for the most part. A flexible back is available with some models, and most of these types of chairs are stackable.
- Conference chair – Conference chairs are similar to executive chairs but are generally smaller and have caster wheels. They can recline in some instances, but are typically made for helping people stay alert and focused around the conference table when big decisions are made and time is money. Of course, some progressive companies are rethinking the typical look of a conference chair and going with alternatives.
- Work Stools – Those in the medical field prefer this type of office chair, with its broad base, caster wheels and ergonomic features. But perhaps why they are so popular in medical offices is because they require no maintenance, are simple to clean, can be moved quickly and can withstand rigorous usage.
- Kneeling Ergonomic Chair – This alternative office chair is very unique looking since it has no back for the user to lean on. Instead, the user is placed into a kneeling position that slides the hips forward in such a manner that the back is automatically aligned with the shoulder and neck. The primary support comes from the seat of the chair while the secondary support comes from the shins. Weight of the user is distributed equally between the pelvis and knees, reducing compression of the spine, tension on the lower back and tension on the muscles. The forward slant promotes good posture and the eventual outcome is a realignment of the natural body position that makes for less pain throughout the workday and beyond.
- Saddle Ergonomic Chair – Used most often as a computer or desk chair, the saddle chair is another alternative seating option made with ergonomic characteristics in mind. The actual chair resembles a horse’s saddle, seating the user in a semi-seated, semi-standing manner. Actually, it looks very much like the user is riding a horse. This allows the user’s legs to drop into a naturally hanging position but also in a widened stance to promote stability. This chair is one of the best office chairs for those with lower back problems, even having curative properties with continued usage. Completely adjustable for all heights, this chair also eliminates circulation problems and poor posture.
- Exercise Ball Ergonomic Chair – The third option for ergonomic alternative office chairs, the exercise ball is one of the newer additions to many company’s lines. This chair is actually a ball, just as the name implies, and is used to support any user for long-term seating periods. Because of its simplicity, the exercise ball chair is perfect for just about any situation: conference room, desk, computer chair, receptionist, etc. The big draw here that puts it in the running for best office chair is that the exercise ball encourages movement and active sitting throughout the day. This stimulates circulation while keeping the muscles active. Both of these things reduce stress and fatigue. By slightly bouncing up and down, the user feels more energetic throughout the day. Plus, since it’s nearly impossible to slouch on the ball, proper posture is promoted. As of right now, most options are merely just in size and color to adjust for height, weight and preference, but we are starting to see modifications that allow for caster wheels and backrests to be attached.
So Which One is The Best Office Chair?
In the end, there really is no clear answer here as every person has their own personal preferences, needs and comfort zones. The best answer we can give you is that you should look into the different chairs we have discussed above before you find the best office chair for you.